Planning Permission, in simple terms, is like asking if you can do a certain piece of building work.
It will be granted (possibly subject to certain conditions) or refused.

You can perform certain types of work without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called "permitted development rights".

Let your neighbours know about work you intend to carry out to your property. They are likely to be as concerned about work which might affect them as you would be about changes which might affect your enjoyment of your own property.

Everybody's taste varies and different styles will suit different types of property. Nevertheless, a well-designed building or extension is likely to be much more attractive to you and to your neighbours. It is also likely to add more value to your house when you sell it. It is therefore worth thinking carefully about how your property will look after the work is finished.

1.         Outline Planning Permission
To start off a Planning process a site visit is made. The fundamental reason for carrying out a site investigation survey is discover the nature of the land you intend to build on, and in particular what possible problems it may hold. With property development this is essential process before designing any extension. You may think you know your own back yard, but are you sure you know where the water main runs, or if there are any drainage pipes or soakaways where you intend to build.

 After discussing your requirements, we produce a block plan of the proposals, this block plan is submitted to the Council Planning department along with the relevant enquiry forms, for their informal advice.
It also creates a paper trail.
There is a £25.00 fee to pay to the Council            

2.            Planning Permission
The council require detailed scaled drawings of the existing building and any new additions. Plans are required of any floor and any elevations that are affected by the proposed extension.
The size, aesthetics and materials used will be discussed with the client to aid preparing these drawing.
The usual Council fee is approx £180.00

This is a list of requirements from the Planning Department

Location Plan - an A4 location plan at a scale of 1:1250 showing your site outlined in red. Cost £25.00

Block Plan - at a scale of 1:200 or 1:500 showing the position of the extension on the existing house and the position of any other nearby buildings or roads.

Floors and Elevations - Scaled 1:50 elevations are produced to show the existing house and the proposal.
Floor plans are produced of each level, both existing and proposed.

Building Regulations
In constructing your extension you are required to comply with the requirements of the Building Regulations. These regulations impose health and safety, energy conservation and accessibility requirements onto the built environment, and provided that you meet these minimum standards in the design and construction of your extension, you will receive Building Regulation Approval.

Building Regulations
·         Building Regulation drawings may include
·         Tree survey
·         Drain survey
·         Structural Foundation Design
·         Selection of floor types
·         Selection of floor, walls and roof insulation to meet requirements
·         Identifying any Structural element
·         Liaison with Structural Engineer over any structural element to the project and include any design into the Building Regulation drawing.
·         Window sizes, positions and selection
·         Lintel selection.
·         Staircase design
·         Fire regulation compliance
·         Roof design and any Structural calculations
·         Liaison with and purchase of location plans showing size and position of sewerage and mains water from utility suppliers.
·         Rain water guttering and downpipe sizing
·         Sewerage and waste water design and positioning to connect to mains
·         Sewerage and waste water design and positioning to soakaway
·         New or extended mains water design
·         New or extended spring water design
·         Heating design
·         Electrical design
·         Perimeter fencing or wall design
·         Perimeter fencing or wall design to Highways regulations
·         Driveway and paving design including field drain options
·         Building specification
·         Calculation of fees to local authority
Collation of all specifications, calculations and drawings, filling in of forms and submittal to local authority.